Author Topic: One Year Review  (Read 27877 times)

asorn

One Year Review
« on: June 15, 2014, 08:03:10 am »
So, I bought the theme a year ago. As of a little while ago I am now removed from the support forum. I understand that is part of the deal, however I do think there should be a simple way for past customers to download older updates that are timestamped prior to the expiration of their support. If there was a very recent update, I may have missed it though it technically could have gone up before my expiration.

As a sort of review for the theme/support:
Over the year, the theme received two updates that I can recall clearly. One that fixed AJAX loading and goto latest post, and one that addressed some other lingering bugs. Overall the AJAX update was the one I appreciated the most, but otherwise I didn't notice much change from version to version. Now, I love the overall style of the theme. I just suppose I expected a little bit quicker turn around when the one year timeframe I have to download in. Only two (or three) updates was a bit surprising given the relatively high price for a theme.

With that kind of price, I can't justify buying the theme a second time only to get 1-2 minor tweaks to the theme at best, and support. Now, to your credit, I found yours and others support in the purchased forums to be very useful when figuring out the conflicts between SMF4M and TinyPortal. But $20 a year for that is just unsustainable. If you offered the ability to extend your updates for a much lower cost perhaps, or had milestones for future major features within the next 1-year, a discounted re-purchase might be negotiable. But as it stands, I appreciate the product you sold. I hope you take my advice under consideration.

Dragooon

Re: One Year Review
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 01:08:29 pm »
So, I bought the theme a year ago. As of a little while ago I am now removed from the support forum. I understand that is part of the deal, however I do think there should be a simple way for past customers to download older updates that are timestamped prior to the expiration of their support. If there was a very recent update, I may have missed it though it technically could have gone up before my expiration.
Please note that if this is the case I'd gladly provide you with the last version, I've had a couple of customers request this to me in the past.

I appreciate your honest words, thank you for purchasing my theme and using it. What do you think is a fair renewal price?

asorn

Re: One Year Review
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 11:23:51 am »
I really do like the theme and your support, and I'm glad you didn't take the critique the wrong way.  :)

I suppose it depends on what you feel is on your roadmap for the theme in the next year or so. You see, in my mind as a smaller user, the theme seems to be mostly feature complete. So from that perspective I don't see much to gain from a re-subscription beyond bugfixes. For that I would think around $5 or so would be fair. I however, don't know your plans, and if you do have other major features yet to add in your next years roadmap, $10 would absolutely make sense.

I don't know what percentage of your sales come from major forums, but mine is a relatively small operation, and the $20 price is an equivalent of an additional 2-3 months server time for a site run out of pocket with no ads. For larger organizations this is clearly manageable however, and if you sales are strong with that crowd then please disregard.

It's just a matter of finding a point that makes sense where I can pay each year without feeling like it's a waste.